08 January 2011

First Round of Videos

Welcome to 2011 … I am back in form, so I know that over the next few weeks I have some severe catching up to do (including Alphafalls, Clara Engels, an Italian band, Femme Fatale, and a French band, Van Diamonds … not to mention a little post on darkwave and a few interviews.) And I am starting to feel giddy about the upcoming releases: Wire, White Lies, The Joy Formidable, Social Distortion, Esben and the Witches, Cut Copy, Mogwai, and PJ Harvey! And of course, I promised myself to get to more shows this year… perhaps I will be crazy enough to get out to Bestival (I wonder why?)!. Below are a few videos and clips to kick off the year – including some video catching up, White Lie’s latest single, a live version of “Personal Jesus,” and two covers (Hello Operator’s “Come Undone” and The Kooks’ “Head Over Heels” – more of a clip than a video). So, to quote Mr. Robert Smith, “ONWARD!” and Enjoy…

White Lies’ “Bigger Than Us” from the WhiteLiesVEVO YouTube Channel.



Hello Operator’s cover of Duran Duran’s “Come Undone” from their YouTube Channel: hellooperatortv.



The Kooks cover Tears For Fears’ “Head Over Heels” from their YouTube Channel: thekooksofficial.



Scissor Sisters’ “Invisible Light” (featureing Sir Ian Murray McKellen) from the ScissorSistersVEVO YouTube Channel.



Depeche Mode’s “Personal Jesus” live from Barcelona, from their YouTube Channel: dmdotcom.



Hooverphonic’s “The Night Before” from the HooverphonicVEVO YouTube Channel.



Wilder’s “Skyful of Rainbows” from the RoughTradeRecordsUK YouTube Channel.



Bag Raiders’ “Sunlight” from the modularpeople YouTube Channel.



Smith Westerns’ “Weekend” from the elpossum Youtube Channel.

1 comment:

  1. The first song has so much imagery, like, “headlight on the hillside,” or “apologies on your fingernails, love flickered in the city of lights,” and “guilt smeared across your lips.” It’s all so poetic and crazy nice. I feel like the song might be about being in a relationship that is doomed to fail, that you have no control over. Or maybe the girl was caught by something big, like another love, or death and for him the only way to get through it was to break up with her even though he still loved her. The video itself throws me off completely (but is definitely fun to watch).
    And then we have The Kooks. I had fallen in love with them when I heard the song “naïve” and their cover for this song was very nice (but it doesn’t help that I never got into Tears For Fears’).
    Scissor Sisters song “Invisible Light” is so eerie and surreal and I can’t help but think about Michael Ende’s “Neverending Story.”
    Depeche Mode = Fantabulous <3
    Hooverphonic’s (first time I’ve heard of them) “The Night Before” is really interesting. Definitely want to hear more from them.
    Haven’t gotten to all of them completely only because my computer refuses to play them, but will definitely have to check them out later.

    ReplyDelete